There is a certain relaxing effect to knocking out some individual miniatures. By which I mean miniatures that do not require a lot of thought about how they will integrate into the rest of the army and how to make a new model fit into an old scheme or mesh with techniques that I'm not currently using.
The woodland Spirit, and the Large Rock Elemental still need bases but I've misplaced my stash of plain 40mm squares. In light of the trend towards round bases in the most recent batch of games maybe that's a good thing. I'll probably do a batch of bases for these once I've got a good pile together.... darn it! there I am thinking about a unified theme for bases again!
At any rate these were both knocked out in a very short time. They are unprimed but scrubbed with dish soap, dried and painted straight on. This time there do not appear to many adhesion issues other than a few high spots that seem to rub off easily when handled.
These were rapidly painted using basic color blocks followed by two layer dry brush a wash and and two layered highlights. The Rock Elemental got multiple colors to emphasize that is an aggregate creature while the Woodland Spirit got colorful emphasis on the fruits and mushrooms... a little bit of walking lunchbox there. There is a wicked mold line that I missed in clean up on the Woodland Spirit... good thing its not a competition piece!
I spent a little time further experimenting with the GW technical paints for the rust and patina effects. These are much more coarse and pronounced than my usual method but I think I like where they are going.
Typhus Corrosion creates a sandy, low grade, texture and the much more granular Ryza Rust builds on that. The combination can give a really gnarly, rust rot, look. Adding the Nihilakh Oxide as a targeted wash completes the effect. With some practice I think it'll be a good addition to the toolkit. not indispensable... but handy.